What is a secondary suite?
Our secondary suites are homes which include a completely independent, separate and legal second suite within. They include 9’ ceilings on the main floor, additional 12” basement height, and 200 amp electrical service.
Have your tenant pay your mortgage
CaraCo is the first builder in Kingston to offer legal secondary suites in our homes. Why not live on one floor and rent out the other? There are many advantages to secondary suites:
- Potential homeowners have the chance to qualify for a mortgage when their incomes might otherwise limit them to renting
- Allow extended families or grandparents to live closeby while maintaining privacy
- Homeowners can generate extra income
- Older homeowners can feel safer knowing others are nearby in case of emergencies
The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) has recognized CaraCo's efforts as the first builder in Kingston to offer secondary suite homes. Click here to read their article.
Ensure your secondary suite is quality-built. That’s the CaraCo difference. In addition to the CaraCo quality you know and trust, our homes with secondary suites offer you:
- Separate entrance and parking
- Completely separate suites
- Elevated basements with bright windows and natural light
- CaraCo basements are liveable, warm, dry, comfortable spaces, protected by a limited lifetime warranty on waterproofing
- Fire and sound separated for privacy, health & safety
- Independent heat
- Option to buy a home with a completely finished basement suite, or roughed-in so you can finish it yourself
- Separate laundry room
- Secondary suites in homes in desirable neighbourhoods close to bus routes, shops and amenities
- As the home is under warranty, your first venture into renting will have the full service support
Your home with a secondary suite provides a ton of flexibility:
- Live in the larger suite, rent the smaller
- Live in the smaller suite, rent the larger
- Basement rough-in for future use
- Reconnect the two suites and change back into a single family home for more living space
With a CaraCo home and secondary suite unit, you have peace of mind knowing that your entire home is quality built. We ensure that each secondary suite unit is built to the legal specifications set by the City of Kingston. This makes taking the first steps toward renting out your basement less worrisome, and a safer home for you and your tenant.